Arushi is a Bhopal-based not-for-profit organization working with and for people with disabilities and issues related to them. The basic objective of our work is to generate opportunities and develop capacities in people with disabilities. The disadvantaged become susceptible to blatant as well as some subtle forms of oppression, exploitation, abuse and marginalization. Arushi works with them to develop capabilities in them so that they are able to assess their choices and make informed decisions.
Impairment may be physical, functional or mental, but disabling conditions are structural, (poverty, inequality of income, lack of affordability of services) systemic (physical barriers, restriction of access, ignorance, lack of information) or induced by societal norms (neglect, overprotection sympathetic attitudes). Disabling conditions exist universally and their degree and intensity is situation specific. This implies that to make an appreciable impact, the interventions have to be need-based. With this approach, Arushi is committed to work with persons with disabilities especially from the weaker sections of the society.
Since its inception in 1992, Arushi has been making concerted efforts towards social mainstreaming of persons with disabilities. We work towards the following goals:
- Inculcating self-confidence in persons with disabilities (PWDs) through awareness- building, education and training.
- Linking PWDs with various developmental schemes.
- Creating a forum to express their concerns and advocate their rights.
- Disseminating information on various aspects of rehabilitation.
- Developing a cadre of trained professionals to work with PWDs for their integration into the mainstream.
- Creating awareness in the society to foster a positive attitude towards PWDs.
- Developing instructional material for students with visual impairment on alternative formats such as audio, Braille and digital talking books.
- Undertaking research-based activities to complement its objectives.
Our Vision is to develop capacities in people with disabilities, working children and others in disabling situations; and to generate opportunities for empowering so that they may make their own choices towards leading a better quality of life.
Arushi advocates the rights and concerns of persons with disabilities through sensitization of society, corporate, government and civic bodies towards the potential, problems and needs of the disabled. Arushi also seeks to create, within the community, awareness about disabilities.